Sunday, July 21, 2013

monogram painting



 I painted this monogram for my nephew's girlfriend, who will use it to decorate her first college dorm room. Originally, she had asked for chevron, and the idea of taping down a chevron pattern wasn't my favorite. Then, she changed her mind and asked for a floral/paisley design.  This choice opened up so many more ideas!

I've become so accustomed to mixed media pieces that it felt unusual just to sketch a design and paint it. Also, this piece was 16 x 20. I usually stick with smaller canvases. So, this was a fun diversion from what I'm used to.

I used black gesso to draw the negative spaces around the designs. I loved the black and white contrast! I don't often use black in paintings, but I think I might start.


I added color afterward, and Gretchen helped as my color advisor and sometimes-substitute painter. It took several hours each day for three days. And I love how it turned out!

No comments: