Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2-1-12: Jimmy Fallon is here




I am blue in the photo above because I took this photo in front of blue lights from the set of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. If you know me in person, you know that this is a *really big deal*. Because I keep a pretty low profile about it, but seriously, he is my favorite. Like, ridiculously giddy, I want to write his biography, geeking-out favorite. Like, I have sent him fan mail, I have his autograph on a Dewey Decimal System bookmark from the library that says Jimmy Fallon SNL 2001, I own his children's book, favorite. And I won't go on, I think that is enough...


So Indianapolis has been planning the Super Bowl for years now, and I have been pretty vocal about the money being spent on one week that could go toward so many other needs in our city. I work at a nonprofit, and I'm reminded of the poverty that pervades so many neighborhoods, as shiny new details that make the city look fancy and awesome take priority. It's probably also just as annoying to me because I don't care about football. I have to say, though, Indianapolis has done a great job in preparing for this week - I felt like I was on vacation as I walked through the middle of the streets downtown. And I am totally psyched that it has resulted in Jimmy Fallon being here for a week, and taping his show in my city! That is the best part of all. He has been taking in the sights and treating Indianapolis with respect and excitement. It's so cool.


We were allowed to take photos before the show started. Tonight's guests were Tracy Morgan, Tim Tebow, and All American Rejects. It was everything I hoped it would be, although our seats blocked some of the guest couch. I sat just feet away from a producer's table, and there were screens all around so I could see everything close-up. The set was beautiful (the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra was seated above the set, surrounded by star-lights), although one of the Indianapolis skyline views out the "window" showed the old RCA Dome instead of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'd like to think that was added intentionally to see who would notice. Jimmy Fallon, as always, was gracious, enthusiastic, and on point. It was awesome.

I can't even write any more about this, it was just so cool. I'm so thankful to have been able to see it.

No comments: