Sunday, January 22, 2012

1-22-12

I am glad that I went to see the Lemonheads, even though they didn't go onstage until 10:30 p.m., after two opening acts that sounded very influenced by Mazzy Star (which was a good thing, though not good for staying up late). I went because they played the entire "It's a Shame About Ray" album, beginning to end. How cool is that? Probably worth driving home through freezing rain on an interstate with snow-covered lanes, which is one of my least favorite things ever.

Evan Dando's voice sounded really clear - the band sounded great in general, even if a man was singing the female back-up parts. And unlike their show that I saw in 1994, I felt no impulse to need to stand in the front row (or to stand at all), or to wait after the show and meet Evan Dando (embarrassing teenage moment!). Magazine clippings of Evan Dando were absolutely on my dorm room wall in college. Goodness.

Here are a few lovely Lemonheads videos. (He still has the same haircut! So the show oddly felt a little like stepping back into a 1990s time capsule.)

Rockin' Stroll-I couldn't embed the official videos

Confetti - Look at the haircuts!



And finally, I didn't even know this existed. He wrote this for her - they should always sing together.

No comments: